Directories allowed for apps (Future of it?)

Hello all,

First of all, if I good understand, that app 'xyz' can write only in folder
.local/xyz or something like that, yes?
Now suppose that Ubuntu has archived big success on mobile market,
convergence and there will appear some Office app called 'xyz' from 3rd
party partner.
Most users, like me, are keeping their documents in ~/Documents dir.
When I create document 'abc.odt' with that app, I will be able only to save
file in .local/share/xyz folder, yes?

Is there or will be any way to allow apps working with other folders?

For now, using apps like WifiTransfer or Vulgry (that is downloading files
/home/phablet/.local/share/ubuntu-download-manager/vulgry.johangm90/Downloads)
is little uncomfortable.

Are there any plans to solve that case?

Best regards,
Krzysztof Tataradziński