Re: Fixing Volume Controls

Oliver Grawert wrote on 23/09/15 09:16:

> Am Dienstag, den 22.09.2015, 17:36 +0100 schrieb Matthew Paul
> Thomas:
>>
>> Michael Zanetti wrote on 21/09/15 09:30:
>>>
>>> But one never controls that role with either the buttons or a
>>> slider. Instead, each alarm has his own volume value assigned
>>> when the alarm is created, and an alarm is always played at the
>>> volume its config says (except maybe only vibrate when the
>>> phone profile is set to vibrate only - but those are small
>>> details we could work out on the road). ...
>>
>> That would have two drawbacks. First, it would make the UI more
>> complex for every app that sets alarms -- even in just the
>> default/impending-default apps, we'd need volume sliders in
>> Clock, Calendar, Tasks, and Notes. Yikes.
>
> no. you wouldnt ... you would (and definitely should) have one
> volume slider in the system-settings that controls the default
> alarm volume ...(... like we should have one slider for each other
> role in the system settings, while the indicator should exactly
> only have a single slider that matches the hardware buttons)
>
> ... and apps *could* add a slider to the "create
> alarm/notification" dialogs if they wanted to which would override
> the default volume when set and return the volume for this role to
> the default after it played.

That would be even worse than I was imagining. The answer to the
question "How loud will this alarm be?" would not merely be "Whatever
you chose when it was created", unhelpful as that would be. It would
be: "Whatever you chose when it was created, if the particular app let
you choose a volume for it, otherwise, the default volume for alarms
in System Settings. You can't tell which, without editing the alarm
and seeing if it has a volume slider or not -- and if it doesn't, oh
dear, you're in the wrong place."

> we are massively limiting developers if we dont allow role
> specific volume sliders in apps imho, you can use them on every
> other mobile platform.

As far as I know, nothing is preventing developers from putting a
role-specific slider in their apps. But that doesn't/wouldn't fix any
of the problems where the volume buttons don't do what you expect.

- --
mpt