Re: The problem with "no background processing for apps"

W dniu 01.10.2015 o 15:44, Roman Shchekin pisze:
> First of all:
>
>     I also really thing something should be done about this, even if you
>     create a user override, allowing applications to multitask in the
>     background.  Like you give permissions for applications to use the
>     GPS.  Then the battery life would be the users choice, personally i
>     was looking for a Linux machine in my pocket that is what got me
>     excited about Ubuntu Touch, but instead i got smoke an mirrors, i
>     use Linux a lot in my life, computers make our lives easier when
>     they are working for us 24/7 not only when we are looking at the
>     screen.  Choosing Open Source over closed source is about freedom,
>     so any choice should be based on user choice not some top down idea,
>     force onto everyone.
>
>     Lets get this fixed.
>

> I agree with that guy for 100%. Said like God.

I think you misunderstand where the "choice" part of Open Source lies.

> Now about business - why don't you want to make _*an system-wide
> option*_ of services availability? User will be able to control it himself!

Because that would mean there's apps that don't work properly for people
that don't enable this feature.

What we propose, instead, is to make it all work for everyone. It's not
going to happen overnight, but we'll get there. It's not like we don't
care about the use cases you all provide, but we're taking the more
difficult route of getting there in a way that's not going to fragment
the app ecosystem and maintain the platform at its best.

I would love for us to have this discussion in a manner "I have this use
case, how do you plan / how can we enable it in the given constraints"
instead of plain "you don't support this, change it!".

--
Michał Sawicz <michal.sawicz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Canonical Ltd.