Re: The problem with "no background processing for apps"

On Thu, Oct 1, 2015 at 2:23 PM, Craig Harper <dexteruk75@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Surly reserving the right, should be an informed user decision.  Could we
> not make it easier to choose how we want to run our phones?
>
> Nokia when they launched the N9, has a locked down linux distro, but once
> enabling the developer mode it give you the freedom to do with the phones as
> we pleased.

The developer mode certainly is an option and something we have been
talking about in the past.

> Could we not adopt some similar approach for 0% resources if you choose a
> different profile your applications get different resource available to
> them, believe me the terminal on the ubuntu touch is useless, you cannot do
> a trace or a ping and switch to a browser without is suspending or your ssh
> session timing out.
>
> Surly it would be easier now, rather than later to build some kind of
> multitasking group, that apps a user does not want to switched to 0%
> resources can be added to or agreed with so that the app can continue to run
> in the background.

We have to be very careful about introducing features too early before
understanding the implications.
Taking away features and functionality is way harder (almost
impossible) than not introducing them in the first place.

Cheers,

  Thomas