Re: The problem with "no background processing for apps"

On Fri, Oct 2, 2015 at 11:03 PM, John Johansen
<john.johansen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 10/02/2015 08:32 AM, Thomas Voß wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 2, 2015 at 5:04 PM, sturmflut <sturmflut@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> Hey Thomas,

> Nope. That forces the user to keep the tracking app in the foreground.
> That means the user can not go about using their phone in the regular
> way if they want the tracking app to function.

Fair point, I oversimplified the solution.

> Receive an sms, or email. Switch to reply, now you are forced to
> return to the tracking app. Instead of just continuing on your way
> especially if you are expecting another response soon.
>
> Out walking, and take or make a call while continuing to walk, to
> bad your tracking app doesn't support that. Forcing the user to
> deal with this is not user friendly especially when the competition
> does not have such restrictions.
>

>>> Wait.
>>>
>>> So we would then have three cases?
>>>

>> Sure, this topic is orthogonal to the lifecycle discussion, though.
>>
> Not really, it is a design decision that forces a certain tying of the
> two, as your response clearly shows. The lifecycle affects what and
> how an application can do some things. It forces certain design choices
> and atm even forces certain user behaviors. The most common use cases
> can eventually be covered by background services but it will never
> cover all use cases.

Let me clarify: I think it *should* be orthogonal, keeping an app in
foreground and forcing the screen on
is obviously not the ideal solution to the use-cases we have in mind,
specifically as we mix up both problem domains.

Cheers,

  Thomas