Re: The problem with "no background processing for apps"

On 05/10/15 10:02, Thomas Voß wrote:
> I fully agree, and would like to elaborate:
>
> From my pov, the goal should be that the AVERAGE user does not have to manually
> maintain the list of open apps at all to achieve good battery life and
> a performant system.

I think that is a good principle.

> With that, whatever we design has to make sure that there is an
> incentive to app developers to
> optimize for the best possible default user experience. Providing ways
> to gain a blank exception
> from our lifecycle would just void that incentive.

I concur: blanket exceptions are not the way to go. The way to go is
ensuring the lifecycle model is not simplistic and reflect the fact that
"losing input focus" (for example) means far less on a "general purpose
computation device" than on a "phone" and something in between on a
"resource constrained monitor"

And we need to correctly identify the modes of operation the system
needs to support and how the user controls them. Users can cope with
laptops that "hibernate" and "suspend", they can cope with power modes
on phones. And if we have "convergence" then all these modes need
merging into a model users can reason about. That will take time.

--
Alan Griffiths  +44 (0)798 9938 758
Octopull Ltd    http://www.octopull.co.uk/