Re: How do we protect the user from data-collecting apps?

On Wed, Oct 7, 2015 at 4:23 PM, Alan Pope <alan.pope@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 7 October 2015 at 15:11, Alberto Mardegan
> <alberto.mardegan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Or, even better, give some sort of real-time indication whenever the active
>> application is making active use of the internet? (maybe with a led-like
>> item in the indicators bar)
>
> (without addressing your main point)
>
> On Android I've used a little app which overlays real-time network
> traffic info on the screen as e.g. "D: 664KB/s  U: 11KB/s". I have it
> always on and positioned just below the top bar, but that's
> configurable.
>
> Here's a screenshot:- http://imgur.com/6VRx1j4
>
> It's totally an expert nerdy option, but it would be quite nice to be
> able to do overlays like this, so they could be app-installed, not
> necessarily baked in.

Hmmm, I think we should rather work towards exposing such information
in indicators, providing detailed stats in a system settings page.
It would be somewhat nice to have both indicators and system settings
extensible by apps in a secure way, too.

  Thomas