Re: The problem with "no background processing for apps"

* Oliver Grawert <ogra@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> (note that this is pretty close to the IOS model (which shows
> this is techincally possible) and is the reason that we are
> currently miles better in battery life than android in the same
> device)

It sounds a lot like the PalmOS model from the 90s.  It didn't
really have multitasking; it was more DOS-like.  Apps were
expected to save complete state and exit when losing focus, then
resume where they left off when started again.

The PalmOS approach actually worked pretty well.  The best PDA I
ever used was a Palm m500, their last monochrome-screen model.
It wasn't a phone and it didn't have any networking built in, but
it was good at what it did.

-- Selene