Re: The problem with "no background processing for apps"

On Di, Okt 6, 2015 at 1:53 , Oliver Grawert <ogra@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
hi,

Am Donnerstag, den 01.10.2015, 16:53 +0100 schrieb Alan Bell:
one of the particular strengths of the Ubuntu Touch UI is that you can
 see what apps are running and close the things you don't want.

thats not true at all ... what you see in the app-spread is just a
representation of apps you "started once" and didn't remove from the
spread by swiping it away ... it doesn't tell you at all what the state of an app is that is shown in this list ... it can be just SIGSTOPed but it can also be completely wiped from ram, only leaving the screenshot in
the spread and being started from scratch when you focus it again.

This may be sightly off topic, but I really feel this needs to be thought about:

In this case what is the sense of the switcher/ app-spread? Its just a list of apps that got "started once" - fine. Whats the point of having such a list? It could be useful to switch between recently used apps, very much so! But really having to reboot the phone to reset it to a blank state? Please don't suggest taking a few minute to caress the screen of my phone swiping each individual app away - which is most likely by then nothing more than a screen shot in this list, sometimes just a blank screen and there is no way of telling even wich app it should represent as having been "started once"'. It needs some way of reset or its just bad user experience. Could be a button as in the below but dismissed bug or a gesture.

Could somebody with the authority please re-open the bug? I believe this needs at least an ongoing discussion and should not just have been dismissed:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-ux/+bug/1483042