Re: Icons and convergence

On 14/10/15 13:07, Michał Sawicz wrote:

I can't say if this is set in stone, or when it's going to happen, but
we're likely to require the icons to be pre-shaped when uploading them
to the store (and/or shape them on upload). They will then look better
on desktop. As for legacy desktop icons, we'll need to have that
discussion sooner rather than later.

I kind of take the view that if we are doing something disruptive, it should be to achieve something better. The desktop transparent icons fit on anything, work with any background and look great. If the phone ones are going to be on a solid roundrect then absolutely they shouldn't be pre-shaped (because everyone will do them with a different corner radius and the antialiasing/translucency on the corners will almost certainly be done wrong most of the time.) Perhaps if new icons were SVG with tagged layers they could generate raster images at different resolutions, with and without the background layer. Another image format that supports layers is OpenRaster, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenRaster which could be used to hold an icon plus a background for it to sit on, which could be conditionally rendered in different contexts.

Alan