Re: Permissions dialog for address book contacts?

W dniu 15.10.2015 o 13:49, Jani Monoses pisze:
> as it was brought up before on this list and elsewhere, regular apps do
> not have direct access to address book contacts, and for good reason.
> One can get vcards via the content hub interactively, whereas the
> avatars are not accessible even there, needing the QtContacts API.

I'm sure that's a limitation we could fix. Is there a bug against the
address book app for that?

> Was the possibility of allowing direct AddressBook DBus and QtContact
> accesses gated by a nice Allow/Deny dialog like we now have for the camera?
>
> This would be easier both for developers and friendlier for users IMHO.
> Am I missing a reason why this is not possible technically?

It is possible technically, but our security choice was to never allow
blanket access to user data. It's too easy to just go Allow without
considering the consequences.

Long-term a user-friendly approach I hope we'll get to is allow the user
to select (using the content-hub) a group of contacts (one of which
could be "All"), and hence forth the app would get access to all of the
contacts in that group.

As for developer-friendly QtContacts, I think we could transparently
back it up with the content hub, getting the best of both worlds. Could
use a bug against... qtubuntu? content-hub? for that as well.

--
Michał Sawicz <michal.sawicz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Canonical Ltd.