Re: Disable accounts with invalid credentials

On 15.10.2015 19:28, Niklas Wenzel wrote:
[...]
> In these cases, we should probably notify the user, e.g. by displaying a
> notification in the message tray, and should additionally revoke access
> to the account for account-polld (or in this case the Gmail webapp), so
> that it stops polling them and so that the user sees that there aren't
> going to be any further notifications in the future.

I don't think that we should revoke the access to account-polld: that's
a setting that's been decided by the user, and if we revoke it then we
should also teach the user how to set it back. It's not trivial, and I
think there are simpler solutions to this.
We could just use a flag in the accounts database, a new flag that is
not exposed in the UI.

> Jonas mentioned that he once saw a notification like that on the
> desktop. Maybe we can also use that code on the phone?

Yes, we could. We actually had this code, but I removed it some time
ago. Please see the rationale here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-system-settings-online-accounts/+bug/1401859

As far as I can remember, we didn't get a clear direction from design
about how to handle these cases. The code which I removed was using snap
decisions, which are quite disrupting for the user, and I suggested
replacing them with notifications.
In account-polld case, it could work that when account-polld encounters
an authentication failure which requires the user intervention, it would
emit a notification, which once tapped would open the default mail
client. It would be then the mail-client responsibility to initiate the
re-authentication and then the account would be working for
account-polld too.
I'll try to get some input on design on this.

Ciao,
  Alberto