Re: New Buteo (contact sync) will land on the next image

On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 10:00 AM, Renato Filho <renato.filho@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> A new contact sync architecture based on Buteo[1] will land on next
> dev image. This will replace syncevolution for online-account sync
> with Google.
>
> This will affect everybody using Google online-account with contact
> sync enabled. The migration should happen automatically after the
> device boots with the new image. During the process some messages will
> appear to guide you.
>
> If you have google account on your phone but the sync is disabled, a
> message will appear asking if you want enable it or not. If you choose
> to keep it disabled the contacts added into the google source will be
> moved to a local source.
>
> For people that uses syncevolution with manual configuration
> (owncloud, etc...), nothing will change you can continue to use it as
> normal.
>
> For those that has upgraded to the previous image with buteo (revision
> 141) and has contact sync enabled, we recommend that you to re-create
> all your google accounts, to avoid duplicate contacts to appear. More
> details about the migration process can be found on "Restore from
> previous update" section on this doc[2].

I think I fell into this category, and eventually everything seemed to work
without my intervention so kudo.

Maybe this will never affect a stable user but I did find it a tad
confusing at first. The message I got after update was that my syncing
capability required an upgrade to my contacts (no mention if I had to do it
or the system would do it), during that time, all my contacts were local.
After 3 or 4 days I got a message saying that the upgrade was complete and
all my contacts referenced the remote endpoint, so great!

If this will only ever hit people running .*-proposed then it is all fine,
if not, maybe some improvements on the dialogues would make the experience
excellent (my personal thought).