Re: GPS fix running all the time

On Tue, Nov 17, 2015 at 6:30 PM, Krzysztof Tataradziński
<ktatar156@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to test battery usage in long time period while GPS sensor is
> waked up and working all the time (even screen is off). Is there any
> simple way to do that?

Great, thanks for looking into it :) You probably want to join
#ubuntu-touch on freenode
and coordinate with our testing team. They have come up with a very
similar test case.
Feel free to ping me (tvoss) and I will introduce you to the right people.

> Expected result should be that:
>
> (1) Phone is trying to get GPS fix -> when it get that, it should ask
> for position every x seconds to keep it (and get new position of
> course).
>
> (2) When phone lose GPS fix (in example enter building), it should try
> to get GPS fix every 2 minutes and when successful (exit building) ->
> keep GPS fix all the time again.

That's unfortunately not how GPS works :) For numerous reasons, if we
require position
updates with GPS-like accuracy, we power on the chipset and leave it
running for as long as
the app requesting the position updates does not explicitly stop the updates.

Now in the default setup, we do not leave the GPS running while the
screen is off. Usually, the system
goes to deep sleep after a timeout when the screen is off. With that,
I would propose that you leverage uNav
from the Ubuntu store to bootstrap your testing scenarios. It takes
care of keeping the screen on and should allow
you to take some baseline measurements.

Looking forward to your results.

Cheers,

  Thomas