Re: Camera bug: MX4 or Camera App - test please

On Tue, 24 Nov 2015 10:26:28 +0200
Alberto Mardegan <alberto.mardegan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 11/23/2015 10:25 PM, royden yates wrote:
> [...]
> > I was taking photos successfully - general forest
> > shots and then tried a close-up of a frost dusted spider web.
> > Focus was achieved, shutter sounded and "shot" animation
> > displayed. Nothing got shown in Photo Roll aside of the
> > Ubuntu spinner. A .jpg file is present in Pictures and if
> > registered with Gallery via File Manager, the file displays
> > with a "music-note" thumb. Assume file corrupted.
> [...]
>
> Try opening the photo from the PC. I think that should work.
>
> I encountered a similar problem some time ago; I bet I filed a
> bug about it, but now I cannot find it... Maybe I just dreamed
> of filing it :-) In my case, I couldn't take a photo of the
> computer screen showing a busy x-terminal. But I could take
> photos of everything else. After some time of digesting the
> surprise, I realized that this was probably due to the image
> size: pictures having lots of details have a bigger file size,
> and that break something (maybe the thumbnailer).
>
> If you still have the photo, could you please file a bug about
> this?
>
> Ciao,
>    Alberto

Hi Alberto,

I have checked now from PC and the images in fact are corrupt.

Did you see my later post, with attachment, and comment about
HDR? With the latest Camera app, the HDR function seems to be the
key factor.

According to my recent tests, if there is any camera shake
(this reduces the contrast transitions), the image will register.
If focussed and stale, then not. So it seems as if it is
regularly patterned, high contrast scenes that HDR chokes on.

What now is different with  Camera v. 3.0.0.604 is that the
issue does not persist after disabling HDR, so good!

Yes, I will file a bug, but later... Corrupt image file
available on request until then.