Re: Host Linux-Distros on USB like Drive-Droid

Hey Max,

this sounds pretty interesting. Apparently it needs root access, but
otherwise runs on unmodified kernels.

I know that up until Jelly Bean (4.1), Android devices appeared as
standard USB mass storage devices by default. So it was probably enough
to "just" temporarily set up a backing store with an ISO or VFAT
filesystem and the right contents, and then pass the right parameters to
the the USB Mass Storage Gadget kernel driver (see for example
https://android.googlesource.com/kernel/common/+/bcmdhd-3.10/Documentation/usb/mass-storage.txt).

But more recent Android devices usually don't support USB Mass Storage
Mode anymore and use MTP instead, which PCs can't boot from.

So does Drive-Droid still work with more recent phones?

cheers,
Simon