Re: Not working features in stable OS

> On 28/11/15 20:42, Krzysztof Tataradziński wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Question about placing unfinished/not working features in OS. If we
>> look in example at Youtube or Soundcloud Scope, there is a login
>> option, but it doesn't working (for Youtube there is also option to
>> enable it in System Settings -> Accounts). So why that buttons with
>> not working login options are there? Maybe better would be to
>> delete/hide that buttons until there are repaired? Why OTA after OTA
>> we seeing them? Is it only bothers me viewing things that are not
>> working (since few OTAs) or that bother anyone else?
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Krzysztof Tataradziński
>> https://launchpad.net/~ktatar156
>>
>> If it bothers you to see rough edges then why purchase a phone with an
> operating system which is currently most famous for not being finished? We
> all accepted before purchase that we would be witnessing the development of
> the finished product.

Sorry, but I think You miss the point. In my opinion there is problem with
providing basic features that can be reached by hardware. Lets see at radio
FM - doesn't work. 4K recording in MX4 (146 days - aging of the bug
https://bugs.launchpad.net/canonical-devices-system-image/+bug/1471666 )
that was advertised when selling phone. Also proper resolution of the
photos - that is also long-aged bug not repaired yet.
Suppose that Canonical are making cars. There will develop high-end
electric car. They will told us that for now car can reach 100 km/h in 4.5
seconds, has range 560 km on one charge and some other cool features. But
you ask about breaks - why they are not working? You probably will hear: we
working on that, don't have hard deadline for that, but we must admit that
in next software update we improve battery charging and implement feature
that allow car to fly for 30 seconds. But you are thinking - why I need car
that can charge fast and fly, if it can't even brake? That is analogical
situation to convergence - we don't have some basic features worked in
every other phones, but ignoring them, Canonical is implementing some other
- of course that convergence feature is great and killing other mobile OSes
- but I don't care of that, if I can't even use radio FM, send files via
Bluetooth or download file that phone can't open without proper app.
I think that Canonical is missing something - there are many basic features
that are not working and should focus on them. Ubuntu has one of the most
active community in IT world, but I think there is problem with using its
resources and communication with it.
I also understand that Canonical has limited resources, but if there is a
problem with that - ask community what to.
My proposal is to create crowdfunding campaign and hire someone to work
with basic bugs/features. If that campaign would appear, it seems to me
that people will be more than happy, knowing that their money will go to
provide the basic functionality of their phones.