Re: Compatibility issues

Hi Gareth,

Thanks for the detailed mail and persevering with Jessops. Sorry it
didn't work out for you.

On 22 December 2015 at 15:45, Gareth France <gareth.france@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have just been to the photography shop Jessops to have some of the photos
> printed that are stored on my phone. They have kiosks there designed so you
> can plug in your memory card, phone or other device to access the content.
> Unfortunately they do not seem to work with Ubuntu.

I expect that to be fixed if this bug is dealt with:-

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mtp/+bug/1283871

Fact is no system which expects to see a camera/media device will see
the photos on Ubuntu phone. There was some discussion on the bug as to
whether it's right to present the same folders as other media devices
or not. I'm strongly of the opinion that in order for us to be as
maximally compatible as possible we should just do what the other
systems do with little or no intervention by the user.

Users expect to plug a camera-device into a computer and for it to be
recognised as such. We don't do this, that's a bug, plain and simple.

Alan Pope
Community Manager

Canonical - Ubuntu Engineering and Services
+44 (0) 7973 620 164
alan.pope@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://ubuntu.com/