Ubuntu Touch and Smart Watches

I recently saw some posts about using the pebble smart watch with Ubuntu but the launchpad link in them does not appear to work.

I have taken the plunge today and bought a cheap and cheerful smart watch (knowing full well it probably won't work.) Having paired it I can confirm that nothing works as it should. I can make a call on the phone and transfer it to the watch but if I dial using the watch it doesn't work. I have not yet confirmed if someone can hear me if I make a call like this.

The music player in the watch doesn't work (the controls do nothing) but playing using the app on the phone does work while routing audio to the watch.

The barometer function of the watch shows the temperature but it has been rising steadily since I connected and now reads 30.58c in a room we are not quite warm enough in, so I assume it is misreading some data there!

So, what has happened to upebble? And will it work with my generic watch? If not is there anything that can be done to encourage two way communication between the watch and phone?

In a setting menu called APK it has the options SWatch (Google) and Android 5.0 (Google). I assume these are standards for the phone and watch to communicate but clicking on them just displays a QR code (to tell the phone what to use??)

Follow ups