Automatic sync calendar, gmail

Hello,

Short problem: Gmail pools server from time to time to check if there are
some new e-mails? What about Calendar app - does it automatically sync with
server in some short time periods or after every change I must use 'sync'
button in options? Does it sync with google server calendar, even app is
closed?
Global problem: Good approach would be if in apps (especially core apps) we
can find tips like
'to sync your calendar with server, use 'sync' button'
'you calendar will be automatically synced with server'
'weather data automatically refresh every hour/every app open',
etc.
In Android I know all my core (Google's) apps/widgets are auto synced with
servers; in Ubuntu I don't know where I should manually try to sync/refresh
data in app/scope or where I can rely on automatic sync.

Best regards,
Krzysztof Tataradziński
http://launchpad.net/~ktatar156

Follow ups