Re: Push API

On Wed, Feb 3, 2016 at 12:57 PM, Sam Bull <sam.hacking@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> How does Ubuntu's Push API relate to the new W3C Push API?

​I believe it doesn't in terms that it has nothing to do with it. However,
most concepts match.

> Please correct me if I'm wrong, but at the moment I believe Ubuntu has
> a custom Push notification service,

​True (just like Google for Android and Apple for iOS).​

> which requires any service wanting
> to use push notifications on Ubuntu to implement a custom solution for
> this specific platform.

Most if not all of concepts described in chapter 4. Concepts of the
document you are pointing to match the concepts in Ubuntu Push (and
probably the other platform push providers as well, I would guess), our *push
helper* being the *service worker,* for instance. I believe Ubuntu push is
also supported in webapps.

Realistically, this doesn't happen, and our
> selection of available providers is limited to those that Canonical
> implement themselves.

​I see what you're saying here. You have a point there. With Telegram, we
basically approached them and said "here's how push works, can you send us
pushes as well?" and they did that quite easily actually [1]. Indeed it
feels like a "critical mass" matter. Indeed it seems it would be easier to
support push for apps on Ubuntu if we used this standardized API. I'm
afraid however we would, at least in foreseeable future, not have cycles to
allocate for that (note this is my private opinion), unless management
recognizes this would be a great deal for Ubuntu.

Cheers,
karni

[1] note: there have been known issues, but turned out to be on Telegram's
end, things have improved a lot recently in terms of notifications for
Telegram.

--
Software Engineer
Professional and Engineering Services