Re: BQ Aquaris E4.5 LED colours

Hi all,

I implemented the initial 'Lights' API, this was implemented to be
used by Unity only. It should not be usable by apps. ( I believe the
apparmor will block it if you try to access the leds hardware from any
confined app.).

The current Unity implementation uses this API to make the led with
the same color as the small envelop (notification icon in the
indicators), and keep it blinking while the display is off. (Because
of that the led color changed from blue to green in the past)

In my opinion the led should not be direct accessed from any app, if
several apps try to control the led at the same time, this will be a
chaos. Instead of that we should extend the notification API to
support a extra argument that could be used to help unity to decide
which color to use, or  implement a smart algorithm that check the
messages in the queue and choose a color based on the application icon
color that send the message.

For example if facebook sends a notification the led will be blue if
gmail sends a message it will be white or red.

I do not see any use case where the app needs to direct access or
control leds, and it will be very complex to control the access and
keep the state in sync.

Unity should have exclusive access to the led to be able to implement
the scenarios described on the bug  #1461176.

This is my personal opinion and maybe the Unity guys has different
plans for the led API.

BR
Renato