Re: Errors trying examples in ubuntu-sdk

On 03/03/2016 02:16 PM, Mathijs Veen wrote:

There are some problems with qmlprojects when it comes
to using different versions of Qt installed on the same machine.

Im not sure how to read this.
There are different project types in the Ubuntu-SDK:
-> QmlProject, QMake and CMake

qmlproject types are the most troublesome and do not really support using it with other Qt versions than the one QtC found in your PATH. However a qmake based template does not
have that problem.
Also the .qmlproject based templates will be deprecated soon and while
QtC will still build them we will not support creating new ones anymore.

I did a clean install of the sdk yesterday on a clean 15.10 desktop. Apart from the above mentioned segfaults that I also got at first, I am not seeing QMLScene at all.
The segfaults are most likely because of a incorrect LD_LIBRARY_PATH that is not correctly set by the qmlproject type implementation in QtCreator. You can however
set it manually in the QtC run settings for your project.
I think it is suposed to start in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/bin right? That dir does not exist on my system. I did however also get a qt4 which does contain a bin directory. Is that what you mean is going wrong?

There is a special Qt version installed in /usr/ubuntu-sdk-dev , in there you should have a qmlscene. The ubuntu-sdk-dev package however is a solution for people who want to have a preview with the most recent UI toolkit. If you need more than that for your app you need to install ubuntu-sdk-libs-dev for now.

But that will not give you the most recent UITK we have on the phone. That one you only get with either the overlay ppa:

https://launchpad.net/~ci-train-ppa-service/+archive/ubuntu/stable-phone-overlay/+index?batch=75&direction=backwards&start=225

or by running the current "in development" Ubuntu. The overlay ppa however is only tested on the phones.

Is a solution for this on the cards or are you saying we are supposed to only run on a physical device using an armhf kit for qml projects? Or is there a way to solve this myself?
Yes we are working on a solution to make it possible to easily run applications with the most recent released UITK. I hope we have good news soon about that.

The problem we face here is that people want to essentially run a app, that is meant for a totally different version of Ubuntu than the one they run as their host for development. For example when the last LTS is your host you will lack all the new stuff that was added to the UI toolkit or other APIs since the phone is based
on Vivid + Overlay PPA.

So the ultimate goal is to have a Kit that brings all those runtime dependencies, where you can build and run in without tainting your host system. And thats exactly
what we are working on.

Cheers,

Mathijs