Re: core apps on desktop

On Thu, Mar 3, 2016 at 11:58 AM, Wayne Ward <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Im looking at running some core apps on desktop i can get most of them
> adding PPA
> nut im looking at running the tasks-app from canonical on the desktop
> ive pulled the code down but getting errors running with qmlscene
> is there a way of bulling a pre built copy or even getting the click and
> installing the click on my ubuntu desktop install?
>
> also
>
> im currently running ubuntu 14.04 and just about got the sdk running but
> it wont install a arm emulator
> i want to start writing some apps and i think it may be not working
> becuase im running a older system seems to be problems with the sdk
> im going to upgrade to 16.04 lts when it releases and hopeful that will
> fix all issues to be current
> is it worth looking at upgrading to 15.10 or the alpha of 16.04 release
> while it gets released
> i dont mind rough around the edges on bleeding as long as i can get some
> touch apps and the sdk running
> only need a web browser and email and a console most of the time anyway!
>
> thank you for any feedback

Hi Wayne,

here's how I setup the machine that we used for one of the usertesting
sessions:
- install 16.04 (it's quite stable, especially nowadays, and if you don't
mind the "rough around the edges" then I'd go for it :) )
- install unity8-desktop-session-mir package
- install ubuntu-sdk-ide (make sure you're using the SDK PPA to get the
latest stuff, see
https://developer.ubuntu.com/en/blog/2015/11/19/here-comes-brand-new-ubuntu-sdk-ide-tools/
)
- create an amd64 chroot from QtCreator's Tools->Options->Ubuntu->"Create
click target"
- open the project file of the application you want to build
- in case the project file is cmake-based, run cmake using -DCLICK_MODE=on
- please note: each app may have its own special adjustments you have to
make to be able to build it on desktop
- once you've built the app, you can use Build->Ubuntu->"Create click
package" to create the corresponding click package
- install the click package using "sudo click install --user=<yourusername>
--allow-unauthenticated"
- log out from Unity7
- log in to Unity8
- enjoy! :D

This is pretty much a dump of what I currently have in my head, so that
could be missing some steps, but feel free to ask any question you may have
:)

Even better, if you pop in to IRC (#ubuntu-app-devel channel) we can go
through it together, and post the final "tutorial" here once everything is
working on your side :)

Hope that helps!
Andrea

Wayne