changing the time

My phone displays the time an hour out on the lockscreen and notification bar. It is a production BQ 4.5 phone, and I am using it in the UK where Canonical are based, so this isn't a weird edge case situation at all. I have reflashed it altogether, and upgraded yesterday to OTA-10. It has a read only filesystem. If I go to time and date, and try to change my timezone it shows Europe/London UTC+1 and below it shows the correct time ticking away with BST at the end of it. If I try to change the timezone I get the daft list of cities, selecting them now highlights them in blue rather than orange, but I can't choose any of them. I have zero clue where there might be any indication of an error log to look for.

/etc/timezone is set to Europe/London

phablet@ubuntu-phablet:~$ cat /etc/timezone
Europe/London

it looks like this: