Re: method satellite in sensor status

On Fri, Apr 8, 2016 at 5:44 PM, Alan Bell <alanbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 08/04/16 16:16, Cesar Herrera wrote:
>
> I think it is used satellite. But it shoudn't be compulsory connect to Nokia
> HERE and accept their conditions to use GPS.
> Cheers,
> Cesar
>

> so, SensorsStatus is a third party thing, which is why I couldn't find it on
> launchpad, here is the relevant code
>
> https://github.com/yohanboniface/SensorsStatus/blob/master/SensorsStatus.qml
>
> it is looking at the Qt function geoposition.positioningMethod and is
> getting a response equal to the constant value
> PositionSource.SatellitePositioningMethod so displays Satellite as the
> method. The Qt subsystem thinks that it is getting a position from the sky.
> I am not so sure. I think location services might be just telling Qt that it
> has a satellite position even though it has no clue where it is, and no
> intention of bothering to find out unless something subscribes to movement
> updates.

The service does not mark individual updates with its origin as (a.)
the information is not relevant (accuracy is key), and
(b.) Qt positioning does not offer an API for it.

> It even keeps saying that it will get it from Satellite when I turn
> off GPS in battery settings and in location settings.

We are setting the flag to "AllPositioningMethods" by default, not
handing out any further information to clients.

For future reference:
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~phablet-team/qtubuntu-sensors/trunk/view/head:/plugins/position/core_geo_position_info_source.cpp

Cheers,

  Thomas