How to develop an app

Whilst I'm waiting for my tablet to arrive and my phone to get fixed I need a project to work on. I have tried to write a simple app for the phone before but even just following a guide to write an example app didn't go smoothly.

I'm wanting to create one of the many 'not quite an app but just a funnel to a website' type apps or something a little more. I want to allow direct access to a web based service on the phone either natively or giving the appearance of natively.

Does anyone have any links to point me in the right direction, any advice or could anyone hand hold me though the process?

Thanks in advance.

Follow ups