Re: Gmail notifications

As one of the thousands of victims of Gmail notifications on Ubuntu
Touch I would like to file (or start a discussion on) a suggestion:

I really don't want to disable notifications in general (and in Gmail
*only*, specifically) just to make my Ubuntu phone more quiet. Yet
still I can't leave it alone for more than a few hours without then
having to cope with a huge list of notifications that I then,  of
course, simply clear. Always living the danger of having overlooked
some serious notification that I should have seen (e.g. a text
message, Telegram, whatever).

What if Ubuntu Touch turned the list of plain notifications into a
categorized list (a list of categories of notification or message
type) intelligently? It could look "normal", as now, for just a few
notifications (say, until 3 of the same type), and turning into
somewhat this when exceeding that limit "acceptable" for a pleasurable
user experience:

 (icon)  21 Emails  (Gmail)
 (^^^^)  (excerpt of the first or last few emails)
 ---------------------------
 (icon)  109 Messages  (Telegram)
 (^^^^)  (excerpt of the first or last few messages)
 ---------------------------
 (icon)  Honey  (text message)
 (wife)  Please also get some milk at the supermarket
 ---------------------------
 (icon)  Bank Austria Service  (text message)
 (^^^^)  TAN for transaction #6891234: ...

Alternatively, at least the emails should be grouped in threads, so
the list will grow less fast. I know this is not easily solved given
the fact that notifications are fire-and-forget weapons (at the
moment). But there should be a way to make this happen.

If you seriously get more than 20-30 message per day displayed on your
phone as notifications you start doing nothing but baby-sit your
Ubuntu Touch device. I don't think this is a good strategy in the long
run. This may seriously backfire in a platform comparison of
<name-your-famous-technology-paper-here> one day. Also, I have the
impression the notification panel starts lagging when I press the
"clear all" link (or what it is) with more than 15 notifications in
the list; it really takes a moment, makes me sometimes tap on the
screen another time.

Any thoughts on this idea / problem yet to solve?
Peter