Re: Owncloud Sync - How do you eat yours?

On 22 April 2016 at 09:29, Eran Benjamin <obelisk@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 22-04-16 08:51, Daniel Wood wrote:
>

> I would like to get an idea of how people use owncloud so I can try and
> cater for most use cases from the start.
>
> When do you sync?
> What do you sync?
>
> Hi Dan,
> I've given it some thought.
>
> 1. I would like to instant sync my videos and photos folders, so once I
> take a shot, it's sent. Both over Wifi and 3G (but i want to be able to
> disable either in the settings, for example when abroad).

Instant sync for images would be cool. I have already added a switch for
allowing sync on mobile data.

> 2. Contacts and Calendar are, of course, a given.

Yes wayne sent me a script with the commands for syncing contacts and
calendar. I will look at this as soon as the file sync is working.

> 3. If the app can fetch my owncloud online folder list and let me choose
> which folders to sync. But on default, sync nothing from the cloud
> (minimize risk of filling SD).

This is high high on the priority list so we don't have to manually type
paths. I need to look if the owncloudcmd can do one way sync.

> 4. A huge extra would be the ability to control Owncloud file share from
> the app;
> e.g.
> I take a vid of my son's show at school, it's a 100 Mbit file, phone
> uploads it automagically to my /photosync folder in the cloud.
> Now I want to send it to my mom.
> Normally I would have to open the OC web gui, choose file and share. Web
> gui is slow and not small screen friendly, so I would probably postpone
> till I forget.

I hadn't even considered this use but it would indeed be very cool. I will
add a bug to the github project:
https://github.com/dubstar-04/owncloud-sync/issues/27

> Now if your app lets me choose the file from the list, long press it (or
> something) and choose share link, sends the command to the Ownclouad, then
> clipboards the link for me (URL and pw) so I can paste it in an email or
> chat or SMS with mom...
> Wouldn't that be useful?
>

> For example, from the phone I am mostly interested in backing up Photos,
> downloads and documents. These don't need to be instant so I could sync at
> night while the device is charging and on wifi.
>
> I'm really excited about the progress in OC sync and your app, but I want
> to keep my phone as vanilla as possible so no rw and such.
> Do I need to wait till it gets to the market, or can I get some sort of
> install file a-la-apk?

Not really ready for testing, but we will hopefully have something in the
openstore in a few weeks. Someone has very kindly offered to help me with
the UI which has given me the opportunity to concentrate on the sync
daemon, So I am currently trying to consider the design of the code we have
a solid base to start from.