Re: Xenial for Ubuntu Phone?

Hi Łukasz.

When the Phone move to Xenial will it also be Snappy based finally?

Regards,
Filip Dorosz

W dniu 22.04.2016 o 11:41, Łukasz 'sil2100' Zemczak pisze:
Hello Bob!

W dniu 22.04.2016 o 01:23, Bob Summerwill pisze:
So Xenial has been released :-)

My apologies if this has already been addressed, but what is the planned
schedule for Xenial arriving for Ubuntu Phone devices?

I have been using a Meizu MX4 as my primary phone for the last few months,
and I just took delivery of a BQ Aquarius M10 tablet and am setting it up
right now.   Woohoo!

Both my devices are currently on Vivid 15.04 (OTA 10.1).

What is the Xenial transition plan for these official devices?    Best
wishes!

As already mentioned in a few landing e-mails, the baseline switch from
vivid to xenial is our near-term plan for stable channels. But please
remember that it's not an easy task. When we were switching our baseline
from 14.09 (ubuntu-rtm) to 15.04 long time ago it took us a few months
to stabilize the phone again. With xenial introducing the g++ ABI break
(and a few other nuances), the whole process could take even longer
since there's more things we need to consider during the switch.

The most difficult part is that we can't only concentrate on one front,
meaning: we can't just drop everything and just work on getting xenial
(devel-proposed) into working shape as our current focus needs to be on
the stable devices (vivid-overlay). That being said, we will be
preparing something similar to a 'task force' that will be taking care
of moving the xenial initiative forward. It's really hard to give a firm
schedule here - with this we still need to wait a bit.

All this means the next few OTAs will still be vivid-based with our
development focus on vivid, but then we intend to switch to xenial for
future devices.

I am on the waiting list for Meizu MX5 PRO as well, as my next phone.

Cheers,
Bob Summerwill