Re: Ext4 on sd

On 02-05-16 21:06, Wayne Ward wrote:
Im thinking of formatting my SD cards on my hd5 and m10 to ext4, I have been told id have to automatically add a mount in fstab which is fine, but is there any downsides and why isn't there a option already to mount / format in our own file system instead of fat32
Regards
Wayne :)

I usually use ext2 on SD and flash to avoid the write wear of the journal, it's stable and mature enough for my temp files storage.

ext4 has many benefits but if you want to use it on SD I would suggest to format it with the no-journal option available in ext4 (unless my knowledge is outdated and SD cards aren't write limited any more).

Both ext2 and ext4 (without journal) are an improvement over fat32 and vfat.

Cheers,
Eran