Re: [Development] Bluetooth support for app development

On 05/04, Matthijs wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> My apologies if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find amy info on
> it, so here it goes:

No worries :)

> I'm making an app for heartrate measurement with a bluetooth le sensor. I've
> been using the Qt bt framework and the app works perfectly on amd64
> platform, but qt bluetooth is not part of the armhf click chroot. As I
> understand I should be using bluez rather than Qt for bluetooth, but I just
> can not get the app to compile (headers of libbluetooth installed, but
> cannot link against lbluetooth).

Are you sure that this library is installed? I ask because you mention
only the headers.

> Is there any information available on the steps to take to access a bt
> device on ubuntu phone, using C++?

As for the BlueZ you must know that the communication is realized using
the DBus interfaces. The BlueZ is exposing an API that allows the
clients to pair, connect, etc... You may try to read the Ubuntu System
Settings sources Bluetooth plugin [1] to get the understanding how this
is done.

I also suggest that your design uses the Ubuntu System Settings to
manage the device [pair, connect, disconnect, forget, etc..] and in that
case your application could be simplified.

Last but not least there is an Ubuntu Online Summit conference happening
this week and I think that today are a few sessions that you could
watch [2]. I especially mean those related to app design and development
such as:
 * Convergence QtQuick applications with Kirigami
 * Scopes design evolution

[1]
https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~system-settings-touch/ubuntu-system-settings/trunk/files/1647/plugins/bluetooth
[2] http://summit.ubuntu.com/uos-1605/2016-05-04/