An android confession

I have a confession to make, and I'm not proud of it. Yesterday I turned away from my devices and used an Android phone to navigate to my destination, and it felt good!

I have no idea if it's just my handset of unav in general but recently it seems to be physically impossible to set a route to anywhere. Most of the time it just sits there telling you it is searching for a route before eventually giving up. After many open, set route, close, set route, reboot, open, set route cycles I may get it to work but it seems to get bored and give up after a while, just hanging and not tracking my position on the map or giving directions.

Waze on Android on the otherhand has has a makeover and is looking fantastic. It knew where I was right away with no delay whatsoever, plotted the route in a flash and all the things I need to be paying attention to such as speed cameras are nicely highlighted on screen. It now even tells you how long a traffic jam is and how far through it you are. It handles getting disconnected from the internet seamlessly and all you have to worry about is the driving.

I would be intrigued to know how this free app is funded. I'm a firm believer though that anything that can be done, can be done better open source. This certainly sets the bar. Does anyone know if there are any outstanding gps issues either with touch or with unav itself right now?

The journey I was making was to a group programming event in London. Both my phone and tablet turned some heads there and it was nice to be able to show them off to people who actually appreciate the workmanship.

Follow ups