Re: An android confession

On Wed, 2016-06-29 at 08:23 +0100, gareth.france@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I have no idea if it's just my handset of unav in general but
> recently
> it seems to be physically impossible to set a route to anywhere. Most
> of
> the time it just sits there telling you it is searching for a route
> before eventually giving up. After many open, set route, close, set
> route, reboot, open, set route cycles I may get it to work but it
> seems
> to get bored and give up after a while, just hanging and not tracking
> my
> position on the map or giving directions.

My experience has been quite different recently. Upon opening unav, I
have a reasonable position in a couple of seconds, and seem to have an
accurate GPS position within around 10 seconds.

In most cases, the route is found in a couple of seconds. I've had it
get stuck on searching for a route a few times, though most times this
is when there is no network connection, something unav should probably
detect and give some better feedback on.

Last week, I actually used this alongside my friend who was using
Google Maps on a Nexus 6P, and I was getting a faster and more reliable
location detection (using unav on Nexus 4). The Nexus 6P also had a
network connection, while my Nexus 4 was offline (my friend was
roaming, I was not).

So, overall, the location detection is brilliant in my experience over
the last couple of months. Unav is also quite nice, but could still do
with a few small improvements to improve it's reliability.