Re: Using system-image-cli failing

On Jul 15, 2016, at 11:07 AM, Alan Pope wrote:

>In theory one should be able to flash a specific build of Ubuntu on a
>device in the terminal with system-image-cli -b [buildno]. I tried this
>today on my pro 5 and it fails. I typed this:
>
>sudo system-image-cli -b 134 -v
>
>Here's the output:-
>
>http://termbin.com/yhrm
>
>Am I doing it wrong? Is this a bug?

You can ignore the tracebacks about the blacklist files.  This just means that
there aren't any blacklists to download.  Maybe that should be better reported
in the log file, but I'm also not sure it's worth it.

-b just says to override what the system currently thinks its build number
is.  Usually this is used to force a full update to the latest revision, by
specifying -b 0, often with -c to force a channel switch.  OTOH, that's
exactly what --switch does!

You can't really go backwards because there's no useful facility for removing
the bits of newer images.  You could get close with `-b 0 -m [buildno]` which
says, "pretend I'm at build number 0, calculate the upgrade path based on the
candidate upgrade paths, but after finding the winning path, ignore all image
numbers greater than [buildno]".  You can probably see how that's not really
equivalent to re-flashing to [buildno], which is really the only reliable way
to "downgrade".

Cheers,
-Barry