Re: great disappointment with my tablet

On Mon, 2016-07-18 at 11:50 +0100, Barry Drake wrote:
> Hi ....  Why?  Well, when I first got my phone, the terminal from
> the
> Ubuntu store was broken.  I grabbed the code, built it and installed
> it
> on the phone.  No problem.after reporting this on this list, I left
> it
> there.  The terminal in the store is still broken, a year later, and
> Ubuntu no longer allows me to install my own stuff on my own phone
> or
> tablet.

Please be specific about what does and doesn't work, and file bugs if
you find them. While this list is good for general discussion,
complaints will easily get lost in all the noise, especially when
others can't recreate the same issue, and beyond simply trying to
install the same app, there isn't much we can do, with only vague
complaints of "it doesn't work" to go by. You need to specify what
exactly doesn't work, preferably in a bug report on Launchpad.

> Some weeks ago, I built a sip-phone - Twinkle.  I submitted it,
> untested
> because it is no longer allowed, and so far, have heard
> nothing!  The
> policy on not allowing installation is surely against one of
> Ubuntu's
> prime claims.  Why on earth has it been put in place is such an
> arbitrary manner?  And why has nobody ported apport to the
> phone/tablet?
>   I could probably do it myself  ......  but .....

What do you mean by testing not being allowed? Where did you submit it
to? What policy about not allowing installation? You can install
anything you want on your device, but depending on how you try to do
it, it can break the device (result in ghost installs that consume
space on the read-only partition). What is preventing you from
installing your app? How are you packaging your app? All of this
information (and probably more) is needed to be able to help you.

> My apologies if this seems to be turning into a rant.

Frustration understood, but please understand how frustrating it is for
us as well, when vague rants like this are made, which don't contain
enough information to provide any useful help. Help us help you better
by providing as much information as possible, when you have a complaint
like this. :)