Re: Moving to Android 6 base

The reason to use the Android drivers is that in many cases they're the
only drivers that exist for many of the chips phones are using today.
The drivers are (generally speaking) owned by the chip manufacturers,
not by Android/Google, they're just using the Android interfaces for
writing them. Those interfaces are GPLv2 as they're in the kernel.
So generally speaking I don't think anyone wants to use the Android
drivers, but they're a means to an end. Hopefully one day chip
manufacturers will target Ubuntu as a platform and provide drivers in
the kernel directly instead of only the Android ones. That would
improve many things including allowing us to use newer kernel features
generally on the devices. Considering that the popularity of IoT is
largely driven by cheap connected chips coming from cell phones, as IoT
devices choose Ubuntu that might also play favorably into us getting
better drivers for phones.
I would say the current situation is not ideal, but workable and
manageable. There is reasonable hope that the situation will get
better.
Ted