Re: Should App updates be passed to the download manager?

And maybe this could also solve the lack of notification for app updates?

      From: Jim Hodapp <jim.hodapp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 To: Rodney Dawes <rodney.dawes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Daniel McGuire <daniel.mcguire351@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>; Ubuntu Touch <ubuntu-phone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 Sent: Tuesday, August 2, 2016 3:36 PM
 Subject: Re: [Ubuntu-phone] Should App updates be passed to the download manager?

On Tue, Aug 2, 2016 at 9:33 AM, Rodney Dawes <rodney.dawes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The downloads do happen via download manager. They just don't appear in
the transfers indicator. I'm not entirely sure why.

However, the updates page must be opened for the update to be
installed, as the installation there is done in the app itself, after
the download manager finishes the download and signals the app it is
done. If the app is closed, nothing is listening for the signal, and
sow the install won't happen.

I agree the installs should happen in the background even with the app
closed. I'm not sure if there is a bug reported or not, but it should
be if not.

+1 to that - for many people this would be quite a surprise for app updates to not occur if they navigate away from ubuntu system settings.