Re: Canonical branded phone?

Hi,

I am glad to see a bit of discussion on this subject.

Canonical did try to launch production of a phone on it's own with the Ubuntu Edge. But they are not the only ones <https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/symetium-the-no-compromise-smartphone-pc#/> who have tried to gather interest for this idea.

When the crowd funding campaign for the Ubuntu Edge was launched, I believe Ubuntu/Canonical had the "edge" on the competition (if you'll excuse the pun). However, development has taken time, and the others have launched different variants of the idea. A couple of minutes of poking around the web today and I found Nexdock <http://nexdock.com/>, Casetop Dock <http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/turn-your-smartphone-into-a-laptop-with-casetop-dock/> and Superbook <https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/andromium/the-superbook-turn-your-smartphone-into-a-laptop-f/description>. Then, of course, there is Microsoft's Continuum for Phones <https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/continuum>.

So where does this leave the Ubuntu phone venture? I am seriously worried that before something lands properly, others will have flooded the market with similar products.

I really wish the Ubuntu phone the success it deserves, but at the moment, I have to admit the future looks a bit bleak. Maybe, we are just being kept a bit in the dark at the moment, and something is in store? Lets hope so!

If I had had the programming skills, I would have contributed more. As it is, my contribution is mainly a bit of translating, unfortunately, but that's something at any rate. I applaud all who are contributing to the further development of Ubuntu Touch and the convergence concept and I wish you the best of success. I look forward to some news about what we can expect in the near future!

Regards,

Ari