Re: [Bileto-announce] ANNOUNCEMENT: Bileto no longer blocks on no-change rebuilds

On Thu, 2016-09-01 at 09:46 +0300, Alberto Mardegan wrote:
> In other words, it happens quite often to me to propose merges which
> affects tests only (no code changes to any installed files), and
> getting
> these changes in is IMHO unnecessarily hard.
>
> Would it be possible for landers to set a flag on a silo, meaning
> "this
> brings no changes to the resulting packages" which lets us bypass any
> QA
> (both human and automatic, as Britney can also takes some several
> days
> to complete)?
I think the idea of making it easier to land tests and documentation
fixes is a good one, we want to reduce friction for those types of
changes. But, I don't think software developers are especially good at
determining when changes are "no risk." Things like "Oh, just changed a
compiler flag" do have potential to break shipping binaries.
Rather than suggest a flag for developers, I'd instead propose that the
feature be that Bileto check the previous package and the built
package. If the hashes of all the shipped files¹ is the same, then it
wouldn't need further review. This way we'd know that the only thing
changing is part of the test process and the actual distribution is
unchanged.
Ted
¹ Except a small white list that has things like the changelog in it