Re: GLUT

On 2016-09-16 02:59 AM, Louis Holbrook wrote:
> Bare metal, gotcha.
>
> However, my phone seems to run something called Mir which seems to be
> the display server. There's a Wikipedia article on this, claiming:
>
> - SDL support for Mir and Wayland is available from SDL 2.0.2 but it
> was disabled by default.[25][26] Wayland and Mir support is enabled by
> default in SDL 2.0.4.[27]
> - GTK+ 3.16 includes an experimental Mir backend.[28]
> - Qt5 is the official and supported toolkit for Unity8 and Ubuntu
> Touch, included in the Ubuntu SDK.[29]
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mir_(software)
>
> I gather that this means there is something special about Qt in this
> connection after all? What other toolkits are realistically available
> to use with Mir? I've never heard about this software till a  couple of
> days ago.

The Mir support in libSDL2 is disabled by default in the source code, but enabled in the Ubuntu packaging.

There is Mir support available in the Qt5 and GTK+3 toolkits in Ubuntu.

> ---
>
> I don't know how this works precisely, but I imagine that if I was to
> make an application for Ubuntu Touch on my Aquaris E4.5 that relied on
> X11, theoretically X server would have to fire up and run parallell to
> Mir (if that's at all possible), thus exhausting a lot more resources?

The X11 server runs on top of Mir.  Yes, it uses more resources.  You are better off not using X11 but using a toolkit
like libSDL2 or Qt5 instead.

> So my question would be, for OpenGL|ES on Ubuntu Touch - what solution
> (opinionated, gladly) would be the most realistic "bare-metal" one,
> making use of resources that are already runnning/available and
> supported to a reasonable degree?

Qt5 or libSDL2.  I would recommend GTK+3 also, but I'm not sure about it's use on Ubuntu Touch because I personally
haven't actually tried it outside of a Libertine (confined X11) environment.

> ---
>
> And concerning your link - chroot development would only work for
> distrubuted apps that are statically linked, or for people that would
> like to play around with their own chroots on their phone? Not so good
> solution to keep download sizes down... or for less tech-savvy users?
> Or do I misunderstand something?

You would use the chroot to develop and test your application.  When you're happy with it, you would package up the
application and bundle and additional dependencies into a click and distribute it that way.  Since Qt5 is already on the
phone, the download size would not be unusually large if that's the toolkit you choose to use.

The Ubuntu SDK takes care of a lot of this for you.

--
Stephen M. Webb  <stephen.webb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>