Dualboot for bq Aquaris E5 (Android + Ubuntu Touch)

I need to install Android on my bq Aquaris E5 Ubuntu Edition phone, because
  a. I need to verify a hardware issue (proximity sensor), and
  b. I have come to a situation in my work environment that requires
me to have at least one, preferably several of the most popular char
apps fully working (WhatsApp, Viber, Slack, you-name-it).

I don't want to lose the possibility to follow the development of
Ubuntu Touch with my own device, so I'm looking into doing a dual-boot
solution with Android + Ubuntu Touch.

Someone, I think here on the list, this summer has given me some
specific advice about how to proceed. Unfortunately, I don't find that
email anymore.

If it were somehow possible to retain the current user data and
settings of my Ubuntu phone that would be awesome, of course. Some
advice about which directories to copy off the device before wiping it
may be sufficient too. Clean installs are cool too, so why not get rid
of everything, sure.

I've read that Android and Ubuntu Touch (can) share the user data in a
separate partition, so nothing gets lost between upgrades and data can
be shared between the systems, reboot required only. Is this correct?

Looking forward to having a ... err ... a more useful phone!   :-]

Peter

P.S.: I'm really enjoying the OTA-13 calendar app, finally with
multiple (Google) calendars!! Yay!

Follow ups