a question about the device kit in ubuntu-sdk-ide

I have installed ubuntu-sdk on my computer, when creating new projects
there, for some projects,  creating a new device kit becomes necessary
and a list is shown:
ubuntu-sdk-15.04...  (... i686, armhf)

Inside the parenthesis  there are 2 architectures, what do they mean?
The first is the development platform? or it is the name of the
emulator of ubuntu-sdk?
The second one is the target architecture?

My platform is "Ubuntu 14.04, Trusty, x86_64"  but inside the
ubuntu-sdk, when i wanted to add an emulator, there was only two
so,  should i use i686 or x86_64 when selecting a device kit?