Re: Virtualization of UP development

On Sunday, 18 December 2016 10:14:53 CET Edison Nica wrote:
> Dear Ubuntu/Canonical community,
>
> I would like to suggest a way to speed up development of UP.
>
> Imagine a cloud solution to edit, compile, run tests and play with UP.
>
> There is a huge barier for people like me that would be able to contribute
> but don't have much time.
>
> But if you would give me access to an web platform, where I can just pick
> up a bug, say a crash with the user dump ready or a failed test, I could
> get my hands in.
>
> I know, I am lazy, and I could get involved if I really wanted.
>
> But I am too busy for anything that requires more than 30 minutes of
> preparation, hardware access or messing up with my machine too much.
>
> Ubuntu (Canonical) could help people to help them, it could scale and speed
> up development.
>
> My 2 cents,
> Edi

I would be developing for UP for a long time, if something like this would exist.

I've already tried to install ubuntu-sdk on my system (I'm on kubuntu) but never
succeeded. It takes a lot of time to install/deinstall/reinstall the sdk and is no fun at all.
First time I tried, I was on kubuntu 16.04.  I came as far as having a working IDE,
but the emulator just hung. After the upgrade to 16.10 I am really stuck. ubuntu-sdk
crashes on startup, and qtcreator is gone. So not only it is not working, it also messed
up my system. But hey, I have a Ubuntu Phone, so life is great!

Cheers,
Hans-Peter

PS: Where is the right place to ask for help fixing the sdk?