Re: Leaving UT

There is/has been a lot of frustration around this project, I think more so since people have been able to see a light at the end of the tunnel where the device is really relatively usable, just with some bugs and a lack of apps.

I agree tho, that one of my main frustrations has been that the bugs I care about as someone trying to use the device daily as a replacement for Android over the last 2-3 years are not in line with what the developers care about as they try to push the platform forward... this may indeed be how it needs to be with such a small team and a development product.

I think I can answer some questions tho...

Moving to snaps will not change anything in the UI design etc... although by the time the phone is using snaps, other changes may have been developed, Unity 8 is in heavy development for Desktop now as well as Phone/Tablet.... what you're specifically talking about is the application background execution behaviour. If you install the "Open Store", and a tool from that store called Tweak Geek, you can set application background behaviour, and stop it from suspending some apps when they are not running in the foreground.... this may solve your issue (I believe that much of the functionality provided by Tweak Geek, and by the UI Tweak Tool should be available via standard settings, perhaps under an "Advanced" menu/or setting)..

It seems to me that you're correct that the bugs you list are unrelated to the implementation of Snaps.

I can however answer the "Why" question... the route from 2012 to a fully integrated OS via Click packages and then having to migrate to Snap seems illogical, and in retrospect it is... but the point you're missing is that "Snap" is really "Click 2.0"... new features have been added over time to meet requirements as the desktop "Snappy" system developed, and there were requirements to be distribution agnostic, and compete with other new package formats like Flatpak etc...

Ultimately Snap has become a much more mature system than Click, and in order to unify the phone and the desktop OS, the phone needs to be upgraded to Snap.

Once things are unified it seems to me that it would be much easier to maintain and release new phone versions and keep parity with the desktop base.

I hope this is helpful, and that someone will correct any errors I made... Perhaps things will improve in future, I'm tempted to start a thread for users to vote for their top 3 phone bugs since I really think there's a slight disconnect over what causes the most irritation to users, vs what is moves the platform forward most.... but I think there would be no point at present, due to the fact that the phone is not the main focus currently.

James