Re: Ackkk! The world is ending!!!

I had scraps of the information pointing to that on several accounts now - on the Ubuntu community QA [0], Google plus page [1] and even on the Ubuntu podcast [2]. It was not kept secret at all.

Weird thing now is that we still don't have any official directions and timelines, and people start to tend to think it means the project is being killed.

Well, I just wanted to highlight that it is really an Ubuntu convergence project, which is a parent to Ubuntu personal, desktop, IoT and so on. Ubuntu phone got many things done already, and now we need the other projects to catch up. This is why I'm not expecting any new cool features to my Aquaris E4,5 in the nearest future (if at all). I am not concerned about the phone being discarded in terms of support, as this is already an aging device. I am also relieved, that there are plans (or at least rumors) that M10 can have a life after snaps.

Backwards compatibility is a killer, when you realized that what you did so far was not enough to keep pace (click packages?) or just purely wrong in the architecture design (click packages?).

Writing an entirely new system, while trying to be backwards compatible with the old considered broken is a terribly bad idea. I'm actually happy that Ubuntu folks are saying - /we tried, failed (click is sleeping, but won't wake up), learned and now implement things as they should be (snaps). Then we can build upon that./

I'm waiting for the snap based system, and a new phone coming along with that. Dual SIM preferrably ;)

[0] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5B31hmY8HQ
[1] https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/111350780270925540549
[2] http://ubuntupodcast.org/