Battery statistics and flashing bricks

Hi list,

I know it has already been discussed on the list and that there is one bug opened on Launchpad (1), but I still have major issues with the battery in my bq E4.5. The statistics are incorrect, which means it's impossible to know if the phone is charged or not. Which in turn leads to a dead phone in my pocket more often than not, even if the last time I checked, it was 60% full.

I noticed while charging the phone in my car – with uNav on – that recharging the battery with the screen on seems to hold better results: most of the time, my phone appears to be discharging, falls to a low point then charges normally. I guess the statistics are more accurately calculated this way. Unfortunately, that's not enough, because even when going through this process, the phone continues to die randomly.

I decided to buy a new battery, thinking the one in my phone was damaged. But my phone continues to behave in the exact same way after the replacement (with the exception of my very first full discharge, which went quite normally). So the hardware doesn't seem to be the problem here and I probably can't be accused of mistreating my battery :).

This started to affect my device after OTA-12. Before that, the battery life was great. However, sometime around OTA-10 (I'm not at all sure which one actually), WiFi started to be a huge drain on the battery, I have no idea why. And now, I'm wondering if WiFi might be the one thing that kills my battery without it knowing…

So tl;dr, is there anything I can do to get rid of this behaviour? We have another bq E4.5 here, also used as a daily driver, but it does not seem to be affected by these bugs (no random bricking, no particular WiFi drain). Would reflashing my phone prove useful? Or better yet, are they some folders or config files that I could try to erase? My phone is in pretty stock condition, I didn't go much further than hitting the "Developer Mode" switch a couple of times.

Thanks for your support and time!

Guillaume

(1) https://bugs.launchpad.net/canonical-devices-system-image/+bug/1471913

Follow ups