Re: Ubuntu at MWC in Barcelona

On Sun, 2017-02-26 at 21:12 +0100, Matthias Apitz wrote:
> El día Sunday, February 26, 2017 a las 02:05:01PM -0500, Rodney Dawes
> escribió:
>

> > Both the BQ M10 tablet and Meizu Pro 5 phone are 64-bit hardware.
> > The
> > userland is currently only 32-bit there, because arm64 was not
> > supported on 15.04, which the current phone/tablet images are based
> > on.
> > That would reduce your figure to 60% (if you're only talking
> > official
> > retail devices, or 50% if counting both M10 FHD/HD separately).
> I do own a BQ M10 tablet. This is a fine device, but not a phone. I
> does
> not even has SIM slots, and if it would has, it is a bit complicated
> held it on the ear for phone talking :-)

Well, you can always use a headset and Hangouts or something. :)

> Having said this, when we could have an image from Canonical for the
> M10 with
> snap?

When it's ready (or more than likely, before it's "ready" given that
this is indeed Ubuntu we're talking about and things like this happen
more publicly), I would presume. If/when any snap based images for
devices are available, I'm sure they'll also get announced.

There's been a lot of work to get Unity 8 and all the related
components that make up what's on the phone/tablet, working on PCs, and
in a snap environment, but there's still a lot of work left to do for
proper confinement to work. I don't personally have a list of all the
various bits left to do, but I do know it's quite a lot, including a
need for some new features in snapd itself, before a snap based system
could be on par with current device images.