Re: Is ubuntu phone resistant to vault 7 attacks?

On Thu, 2017-03-09 at 16:26 +0000, Unix One wrote:
> On 03/09/2017 05:56 AM, A. James Lewis wrote:
> >
> > The ports you mention don't appear to be open on a default build,
> > with the exception of 53, which surprises me, but still, it is only
> > bound to loopback, so it would be hard to attack remotely.
> What do you mean by "default build"? I'm on rc-proposed on mako and
> 22
> is open on 0.0.0.0. I don't believe I've done anything to cause
> this.
> Disabling the developer mode doesn't make it go away.

You used the SDK or phablet-shell tool to connect to the device over
ssh, which enabled it. It is not enabled by default on phones, even
when developer mode gets enabled. It also only accepts key based login,
and a unique key is generated for this when you use the SDK or phablet-
shell command to connect over ssh.

> The service identifies itself as SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_6.7p1
> Ubuntu-5ubuntu1.4. It looks like it doesn't accept ssh password
> logins,
> but the port should still be closed by default.

Really, it should be only bound on "local" interfaces, and not the
cellular modem connection.

> To fix for now I opened the terminal and ran `sudo service ssh
> stop`,
> the port is no longer open. But I'm guessing it will start again
> when
> the phone is rebooted.

Yes, you would need to disable ssh with android-gadget-service, to
disable it.