Where would time be best spent on this project?

Hello Community,

There are a lot of bugs popping up lately, and I wonder how much of the
"click" code will overlap with the "snap" code. Does this mean that
fixing bugs in the current version will eventually be a waste of time if
the snap version is almost a complete rewrite?

From what I hear, many of the current Ubuntu devices will not be able to
handle the snap version. There also seem to be a few device holders who
seem to be switching over to android (some not by choice).

So, if the click version of Ubuntu is being phased out, and there is a
considerable amount of time before there is a new device and new snap
version of Ubuntu, then is there something worth doing in the meantime
that would help to bridge the gap?

Where I feel that the Ubuntu experience is on devices currently:
- Excellent UI & task management
- Community involvement
- A talking point with some people (p.s. so far not a single person has
ever asking me about why my phone software looks different)
- Does not require an account with a questionable 3rd party company in
order to use it well
- Still relies on some android bits, and proprietary binary blobs
- Convergence on some devices
- Uncertain development on current bugs and software

There are a lot of benefits and features for using Ubuntu on a device,
but if development is gearing down on current devices, then it makes it
difficult to participate in the project and promote it until things are
going full steam. I have no new bugs to report on my Nexus 4 because the
code does not update, and I cannot explain to people why it is better,
when some functions are lagging behind.

Now comes a crazy thought, stemming originally from a friend's idea. It
is difficult to articulate, so I hope a civil discussion can form around it.

What if for the interim, an Ubuntu skin/UI was made to run directly on
top of android? This is not the end goal. What it does give you, is a
few more functions while maintaining the talking point and awesome UI.
Other android users could then also get accustomed to the look of Ubuntu.
-Skip dual booting (seen previously)
-Forget trying to run android apps on Ubuntu (seen previously)

It's a bit like putting lipstick on a pig, but it's also like having a
crutch rather than trying to hobble around on a broken leg.

The real goal is to be 100% separate from android, but it sounds like
even the current Ubuntu is built on top of some parts of android. So
this half-way point would not be a total compromise. I am impressed and
thankful for all the work that was done so far, but I am sad to see the
disappointment coming out in the mailing list occasionally.

Does it make any sense time-wise,  and are there the resources to create
this half-way point?

Is the click version actually a losing position, or is it still valuable
to maintain?

Joe

Follow ups